Phishing is one of social engineering most popular methods designed to obtain a user’s confidential data through mass messages mailing. A typical example is a letter from a bank or other reputable organisation...
Phishing is one of social engineering most popular methods designed to obtain a user’s confidential data through mass messages mailing.
A typical example is a letter from a bank or other reputable organisation requesting personal information.
- Familiar links. The target user receives an email asking him/her to visit a familiar website and the resource link. Without hesitation, the user clicks on it, unaware that the address is slightly different from the original one. The fraudulent resource interface is also as similar as possible to the one being copied, which completely puts the user off guard; he/she gives out his login, password and other information.
- Brands. These phishing schemes use fake emails or websites containing the names of large or well-known companies. Messages may include congratulations on winning a contest run by the company or an urgent need to change the user’s account information or password. Such schemes may involve telephone calls on behalf of a technical support unit.
- Fake lotteries. The target user receives a message congratulating him/her on winning a competition. To «collect the prize», the use is to perform some actions the fraudsters need.
- . Scareware or false antivirus software, is software identical to authentic one but with completely different functions.
- Any modern antivirus is by default equipped with an «anti-phishing» option. So if, for some reason, you don’t have it, it’s time to fix the problem.
- An excellent solution would be to install a modern browser to alert you when you visit a suspicious site.
- But the main weapon against phishing is common human prudence: do not share your confidential information with anyone, do not respond to suspicious messages and do not follow strange links, even if they come from acquaintances, because they can also be hacked. By combining the above tips you’ll be able to considerably enhance your data security.
Share this with your friends!